Highland Opening

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
warrior

Re: Highland Opening

Post by warrior »

HE (me) doesn't need anything broken down. My post is the same is yours, an opinion. Highland hasn't been relevant in decades, haven't won a sectional since 1987, and I don't think BG will change that. A sectional title would be a MONUMENTAL achievement.

None of us are experts, nor can we predict the future so all we are doing is making "educational" guesses. We can circle back in 3-4 years and see what happens.

warrior

Post by warrior »

My bad. Next time, I'll make sure to check with the experts before making a prediction. BG is a coaching savant and is going to bring Highland their first sectional title since like 1987. He is HIM.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

warrior wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:29 pm
My bad. Next time, I'll make sure to check with the experts before making a prediction. BG is a coaching savant and is going to bring Highland their first sectional title since like 1987. He is HIM.
More HIM than 85-90% of NWI Head Coaches, past or present, as evidenced by his performance as a coach correcting a program in AWFUL shape (a performance you tried to discredit with your "opinion") and getting the most out of players that other coaches blame as the problem. The problem isn't the Jimmie's and Joe's if Jimmy and Joe aren't DEVELOPED. Again, based on Ben's body of work more football players will be developed in Highland than they were previously. I'll see you back here in 3 years Mr. Opinion.

VPISU

Post by VPISU »

His initials are BG.

warrior

Post by warrior »

85-90% of all head coaches in NWI football history? BG was a head coach for 4 YEARS and won nothing. If you're going to spout that nonsense, just go ahead and debate with yourself because that is an absolutely ridiculous take.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

warrior wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:44 pm
85-90% of all head coaches in NWI football history? BG was a head coach for 4 YEARS and won nothing. If you're going to spout that nonsense, just go ahead and debate with yourself because that is an absolutely ridiculous take.
I'd be willing to bet less than 10-15% of all NWI head coaches in history even have a postseason trophy. The number of those individuals with a 65% win percentage is probably near the same. Percentage's are hard, I know. And if you're one of those that thinks trophies are the only thing that make a quality high school head football coach, you have even less of an idea than I thought you do.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

Jimbo23 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:45 pm
warrior wrote:
I'd be willing to bet less than 10-15% of all NWI head coaches in history even have a postseason trophy. The number of those individuals with a 65% win percentage is probably near the same. Percentage's are hard, I know. And if you're one of those that thinks trophies are the only thing that make a quality high school head football coach, you have even less of an idea than I thought you do.
Clicked through Harrel's site and found every region head coach last name A-E so far. 5 out of 31 possible coaches (16%) fit YOUR criteria for being a quality head football coach at the high school level. And of those 5 I found, only 3 of them have a better win % than Ben Geffert... MAYBE "BG" is better than YOU think?

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

I would say that he is a really good hire for Highland all things considered.

Remind me why he left Gtown so quickly? I would have thought he would have been a long time guy there. Played for Russ. Home town guy. Had success.

paintballer

Post by paintballer »

BallinFreak wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:45 pm
I would say that he is a really good hire for Highland all things considered.

Remind me why he left Gtown so quickly? I would have thought he would have been a long time guy there. Played for Russ. Home town guy. Had success.
Not sure the actual reason but I would of left them behind to if they abruptly just pulled out of the NCC in the middle of the night reducing the schedule to what it is now.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

warrior wrote:
After digging through the Harrell Archives, I clicked on every single Indiana Head Coaches record from 1993-Present day. Based on your criteria for being better than other head coaches in Region history (Postseason Trophies/ Wins), I found 31 examples out of 167 Region Coaches in that time frame who won at least a Sectional Championship (18.6% of all Region coaches since 1993). In the grand scheme of percentages, I think being better than 81% of coaches is pretty good (I was 4% off), considering there's AT LEAST 5 region coaching "sectional champions" who are arguably nowhere near as good of coaches as Ben Geffert is based on their career body of work and if your eyes are open and you value more than a sectional trophy for football program success.

I challenge you to find me a non-sectional championship winning coach (with an NCC Conference title or equivalent) with a greater than 65% win percentage in NWI history, who is a better head football coach than Ben Geffert, based on the data. I'll wait patiently, you have 136 names to choose from, best of luck.
Last edited by Jimbo23 on Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.